Effective Date: January 20, 2021
The CCPA Privacy Notice applies only to individuals residing in the State of California who are considered Consumers under the CCPA and from whom we collect “Personal Information” as described in the CCPA (“Consumers”).
Information We Collect
We may collect Personal Information from you in a variety of different situations, including, but not limited to on our website, your mobile device, through email, and/or over the telephone. More specifically, Fiveable may collect the following categories of Personal Information from its Consumers, which will depend on the particular Business Purpose (described in How We Use Personal Information below) for which we collect it:
Examples of Personal Information We May Collect
A real name, alias, postal address, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, and email address.
B. Personal information categories listed in the California Customer Records statute (Cal. Civ. Code § 1798.80(e)).
A name, address, telephone number, education, credit card number, debit card number, or any other financial information.
C. Protected classification characteristics under California or federal law.
Sex (including gender, gender identity, gender expression)
D. Commercial information.
Records of products purchased, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
E. Biometric information.
F. Internet or other similar network activity.
Browsing history, search history, information on a consumer’s interaction with a website, application, or advertisement.
G. Geolocation data.
Physical location or movements.
H. Sensory data.
I. Professional or employment-related information.
J. Education information, as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act.
K. Inferences drawn from other personal information.
Profile reflecting a person’s preferences.
Personal information does not include deidentified or aggregated consumer information.
Fiveable obtains the categories of Personal Information listed above from the following categories of sources:
- Directly from you. For example, from forms you complete or services with which you engage.
- Indirectly from you. For example, from observing your actions on our website or from information your computer or mobile device transmits when interacting with our website or mobile applications, among other things.
How We Use Personal Information
We may use, or disclose the Personal Information we collect from you or about you to do one or more of the following:
- Enable you to engage with our Sites and services and to access an Account;
- Process transactions and allow you to purchase and sign up for courses;
- Provide, analyze, administer, improve, and personalize the Site, our products, or services;
- Provide you with our Site, courses, services, and any information relating thereto;
- Communicate with you in connection with the courses, services, notifications, events, programs or offerings;
- Send you updates, promotional materials, or information about courses and/or services you may be interested in;
- Contact you to fill out surveys, obtain feedback, or participate in other types of market research;
- Allow you to participate in the Community or communicate with other users on our Site;
- Protect our rights or our property and to ensure the technical functionality and security of the Site and service
- Comply with applicable law, assist law enforcement, and to respond to regulatory or other legal inquiries.
- Fulfill any other purpose for which your provide it or consent.
How We Share Personal Information
Fiveable may disclose your Personal Information to a third party for a business purpose, including to our service providers.
We share your personal information with the following categories of third parties:
- Service providers (i.e. service centers, ratings and reviews provider, email service provider, shipping companies).
- Third parties with whom you direct us to share your personal information
Disclosures of Personal Information for a Business Purpose
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Fiveable may have disclosed the following categories of personal information for a business purpose:
Category A: Identifiers.
Category B: California Customer Records personal information categories.
Category F: Internet or other similar network activity.
Category K: Inferences drawn from other personal information.
We disclose your personal information for a business purpose to the following categories of third parties:
Sales of Personal Information
In the preceding twelve (12) months, Fiveable has not sold personal information.
Your Consumer Rights and Choices
The CCPA provides Consumers with specific rights regarding their Personal Information. This section describes your CCPA rights and explains how to exercise those rights.
Access to Specific Information and Data Portability Rights
You have the right to request that Fiveable disclose certain information to you about our collection and use of your Personal Information over the past 12 months. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will disclose to you:
- The categories of Personal Information we collected about you.
- The categories of sources for the Personal Information we collected about you.
- Our business or commercial purpose for collecting that Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share that Personal Information.
- The specific pieces of Personal Information we collected about you.
- If we disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, a list identifying the Personal Information categories that each category of recipient obtained.
Deletion Request Rights
You have the right to request that Fiveable delete any of your Personal Information that we collected from you and retained, subject to certain exceptions. Once we receive and confirm your verifiable consumer request (see Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights), we will delete (and direct our service providers to delete your Personal Information from our records, unless an exception applies.
In accordance with the CCPA, we may deny your deletion request under certain circumstances, and will inform you of the basis for the denial, which may include, but is not limited to, if retaining the information is necessary for us or our service provider(s) to:
- Complete the transaction for which we collected the Personal Information, provide a good or service that you requested, take actions reasonably anticipated within the context of our ongoing business relationship with you, or otherwise perform our contract with you.
- Detect security incidents, protect against malicious, deceptive, fraudulent, or illegal activity, or prosecute those responsible for such activities.
- Enable solely internal uses that are reasonably aligned with consumer expectations based on your relationship with us.
- Comply with a legal obligation.
- Make other internal and lawful uses of that information that are compatible with the context in which you provided it.
Exercising Access, Data Portability, and Deletion Rights
To exercise the access, data portability, and deletion rights described above, please submit a verifiable consumer request to us by either:
Only you, or a person registered with the California Secretary of State that you authorize to act on your behalf, may make a verifiable consumer request related to your Personal Information. [You may also make a verifiable consumer request on behalf of your minor child.]
You may only make a verifiable consumer request for access or data portability twice within a 12-month period. The verifiable consumer request must:
- Provide sufficient information that allows us to reasonably verify you are the person about whom we collected Personal Information or an authorized representative.
- Describe your request with sufficient detail that allows us to properly understand, evaluate, and respond to it.
We cannot respond to your request or provide you with Personal Information if we cannot verify your identity or authority to make the request and confirm the Personal Information relates to you.
Making a verifiable consumer request does not require you to create an account with us. We will only use Personal Information provided in a verifiable consumer request to verify the requestor’s identity or authority to make the request.
Response Timing and Format
We endeavor to respond to a verifiable consumer request within forty-five (45) days of its receipt. If we require more time (up to an additional 45 days), we will inform you of the reason and extension period in writing.
We will deliver our written response by mail or electronically, at your option.
Any disclosures we provide will only cover the 12-month period preceding the verifiable consumer request’s receipt. The response we provide will also explain the reasons we cannot comply with a request, if applicable.
If we determine that the request warrants a fee, we will tell you why we made that decision and provide you with a cost estimate before completing your request.
Other California Privacy Rights
California’s “Shine the Light” law (Civil Code Section § 1798.83) permits users of our website that are California residents to request certain information regarding our disclosure of Personal Information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes. We do not disclose your personal information to third parties for their direct marketing purposes.
Changes to Our CCPA Privacy Notice
Fiveable reserves the right to amend this privacy notice at our discretion and at any time. When we make changes to this privacy notice, we will post the updated notice on our Site and update the notice’s Effective Date above. Your continued use of our Site or interaction with us through other methods following the posting of changes and/or our directing you to the updated CCPA Privacy Notice constitutes your acceptance of such changes.
2550 N Lake Dr
Milwaukee, WI 53211